birding-aus

Partridge Pigeon, Hooded Parrot etc

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Partridge Pigeon, Hooded Parrot etc
From: Jenny Spry <>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 15:04:25 +1100
Hi all,

I went up to Darwin last Saturday to twitch the Grey Phalarope - and missed
it by 5 days! Serves me right for procrastinating I guess (smile).

I did have other birds to chase though but wondered about my chances of
finding them during the wet season. I thought the Hooded Parrot would be
the easiest because they are said to hang out in the Middle of Pine Creek,
and they do. I got my best views though on the Copperfield Dam access Road,
just before the picnic area.

On this road I also got two species I had expected to dip on. First, a
Chestnut-backed Button-quail walked across the track near the gun club gate
and, best of all, a Partridge Pigeon came out onto the access road to drink
at a puddle. Copperfield Dam is a great spot for birding as all the other
local species were also there.

I stayed the night at the Lazy Lizard in Pine Creek and, despite a total
blackout in town caused by a thunder storm, they managed to serve me a
Spaghetti Carbonara that tasted as good as any I have had in Melb - of
course the atmosphere of eating it by candle light in the middle of a
torrential rain and thunder storm might have helped (smile). The Lazy
Lizard camp ground also has a very active Great Bowerbird bower and it was
interesting to watch the male court a female.

Two other new birds for me were a Yellow-rumped Mannikin at Knuckey's
Lagoon and a Rufous Owl at the Howard Springs Nature Reserve. Total species
seen in 4 days was 102 which I thought was pretty good for the wet season.

cheers

Jenny
http://jenniferspryausbirding.blogspot.com.au/