birding-aus

Could Australia top the Great Backyard Bird Count?

Subject: Could Australia top the Great Backyard Bird Count?
From: Laurie Knight <>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 21:24:32 +1000
Well, at the close of day 3 in Aus,

The USA has 590 from 34,925 lists
India has 481 species from 1,072 lists
Australia has  442 species from 496 lists

The USA will probably have another 10,000+ lists by this time tomorrow, but probably not a lot more additional species.

The distribution of Australian lists doesn't match the distribution of species in Aus - we don't have much participation outside of the eastern sea board.

Interestingly, there appears to be little participation in South America, Africa and northern Europe.

Regards, Laurie.