birding-aus

WTP and Point Cook Access

To: 'Jacqui Bennett' <>, "" <>
Subject: WTP and Point Cook Access
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 15:19:55 +1100
WTP is all dirt roads, and the ones we're allowed on are mostly quite good.
There are some potholed bits, but they're not a problem at low speed. Avoid any
roads marked Dry Weather Only if they're even just damp. I think they're mostly
little side tracks anyway.

Note that there are more gates than shown on the map, which need to be
unclipped rather than unlocked, which can make things very slow if you're by
yourself. Some in T Section have a tricky split link system that looks like
it's permanently chained shut if you don't know to look for the gap in the
chain links.

Navigation isn't too difficult, but it wouldn't be hard to get lost if you were
new and not paying attention. If you've got a smart phone with Google Maps,
that can be reassuring. I can't remember how good the phone signal is there,
but I've used Google Maps with Optus and Telstra in a few places. It would be
helpful if you could go with someone the first time, just to show you where the
best spots are.

I believe the AGP is in a restricted area, but some people have got permission
to enter by asking at the rangers' office.

Peter Shute