birding-aus

Darwin Phalaropes (both)

To: "<>" <>
Subject: Darwin Phalaropes (both)
From: Andrew Bell <>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 18:36:15 +0930
Dear All

I finally got up from Katherine to look for the Darwin grey phalarope in the
rain today (no access to Leanyer ponds at present, so just distant views
through the fence).

Peering through the fence with Clive Curson, to our surprise we found a group
of eight phalaropes ( distant views - next to freckled ducks) , one appearing
different with  a more robust bill, most  behaving like red necked phalaropes,
swimming in circles.  Other observers have since confirmed we probably have one
grey and seven red-neckeds.

Exciting  to get both together - hopefully they'll remain for the weekend, the
weather will clear a bit and we'll get better views and decent photos ( a  bit
wet for the  optical gear today).

Cheers

Andrew Bell
Katherine