birding-aus

Stradbroke buttonquail

To: <>, <>
Subject: Stradbroke buttonquail
From: <>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 23:27:52 +0000
Hi Nick and Tom,

>From ALA database and our own internal CSIRO database there are only records
>of Painted BQ from Stradbroke Is. This fits my experience too, not from
>Straddie, but from nearby Manly West to Redlands to Logan and Coomera Rivers,
>where I've only seen and heard Painted BQs. In any case calls should readily
>distinguish Painted from Little BQ (one low-accuracy record from the ocean off
>Point Lookout) and BBBQ. From the Bayside (roughly speaking) of Brisbane there
>are ~200 BQ records of which ~140 are Painted BQ. Within this 200 there are
>also Red-backed and Red-chested BQs. There's certainly lots of good country on
>Straddie for Red-backs BQs and I reckon their calls can be hard to pick from
>Painted BQ.

For Ground parrots, there are no records between Caloundra (1973, I suspect of
low spatial accuracy) and a couple of records near Lennox Heads.

Hooroo,

Eric Vanderduys
Technical Officer
CSIRO Ecosystem Sciences
Phone: +61 7 4753 8529 | Fax: +61 7 4753 8600 | Mobile: 0437 330 961
 | www.csiro.au |
www.csiro.au/people/Eric.Vanderduys.html
Address: CSIRO, PMB PO, Aitkenvale, Qld 4814. Deliveries: CSIRO, ATSIP, Bld 145
James Cook Drive, James Cook University Douglas Campus, Townsville Qld 4814,
AUSTRALIA