birding-aus

Eating birds

To: "" <>
Subject: Eating birds
From: Pat O'Malley <>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 17:30:57 +1100
While working out in the Great Victoria Desert a few years back, my Aboriginal
coworker suddenly yelled 'Turkey!', stopped the ute in a hail of dust and
stones and reached into the back for his gun. The Turkey turned out to be an
Australian Bustard and after a fair few misses Richard brought it down. My
remonstrances about shooting protected birds were met with a disdainful remark
about this not applying to indigenous people (I expect this is true but I
wasn't going to argue, it was his country). Anyway, that night the Webber was
set to work and we had BBQ Bustard. Dry and a bit tasteless, very like Turkey
if anyone needs that info for their records.

Cheers
Pat

--
Pat O'Malley,