birding-aus

Western Treatment Plant

To: "" <>
Subject: Western Treatment Plant
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 17:11:43 +1100
I spent a hot morning at Western Lagoons and ponds 26/29 near Beach Road. A
lot of areas have dried out considerably after the last hot spell. No sign
of the Broad-billed Sandpiper, Reeve, or Long-toed Stint, but I did find a
Pectoral Sandpiper at the Western Lagoons.

I didn't go to T-Section but I was told there were 19 Banded Lapwing there
- possibly the group that's usually along Beach Road, as there was no sign
of them at their usual spots today. I wonder if they've moved to somewhere
with better permanent water? There is still water in the dam at Beach Rd
but the grassy areas around it are dying quickly.

Just a reminder that tomorrow has been declared a day of Total Fire Ban for
all Victoria, so WTP is one of the many places that are out of bounds for
the day. Wednesdays looking cooler so it should be a more pleasant time to
visit, though the afternoon is forecast to be quite windy.

Russell Woodford
Geelong