birding-aus

Birdline Australian Capital Territory Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australian Capital Territory Weekly Update
Date: 27 Jan 2014 03:01:31 +1000

Birdline Australian Capital Territory

Published sightings for the week ending 26 Jan 2014.

Sun 26 Jan Lewin's Rail, Diamond Firetail Namadgi Visitors Centre
We made a quick stop today at the pond behind the visitor's center to take a look for the Lewin's rail and to our great surprise we actually saw it! It made a quick foray out from the reeds along a muddy bank before disappearing back into the reeds and not remerging. As a bonus, there were two diamond firetails drinking at the pond as well as well as some adorable zebra-headed baby Australasian grebes.
Daniel Hoops, David Hamilton

Wed 22 Jan Black Kite Woden
A Black Kite passed over the large roundabout at Yarra Glen and Yamba Drive (north Woden) at 1.45pm today, flying north. First I've seen in the ACT, it's a rare visitor to Canberra
Sandra Henderson

Mon 20 Jan Black Falcon Paddys River Road
Single Black Falcon seen on 19/20 Jan, opposite Corin Rd on the 19th (as reported by Milburn) & approx. 5kms east along Paddys River Rd on the 20th.
Scott Ryan

Lewins Rail Namadgi Visitors Centre
Amazing views of a Lewins Rail this morning at NVC. For a species that is normally skulking personified, this bird was feeding out in the middle of a pond allowing extended and exceptional views. A poor binocular digiscoped photo is attached.
Alastair Smith

Birdline Australian Capital Territory is hosted by Eremaea Birds.