birding-aus

Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest

To: <>, <>
Subject: Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest
From: "Birdpedia - Australia Info" <>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 00:05:06 +1030
The following is a digest of Sightings Reported on Birdpedia for the period
Monday, January 20, 2014 to Sunday, January 26, 2014:

Area: SA

Date: Monday, January 20, 2014

Location: On our blackened land at Rockleigh

Straw-necked Ibis (Threskiornis spinicollis) (70) First we saw a flock of 15
cruising overhead. Then 3 landed and foraged among the ashes. They vanished and
6 landed. Later in the day a flock of about 70 appeared, and finally a group of
about 40 landed and foraged. What on earth were they finding to eat ? All we
can see is scorched earth.

Magpie-lark (Grallina cyanoleuca) (2) We have been expecting a magpie lark to
pass through for almost five and half years, with no luck until today. There is
no normal magpie-lark habitat left, but they hung around all day. The land over
the road is unburnt, with plenty of trees and looks a far better foraging spot
for them.

Variegated Fairy-wren (Malurus lamberti) (6) By the time these turned up we
were almost used to seeing the unexpected. We have never seen wrens before !
They were flitting in burnt bushes in the gully where there are still burning
embers.

The day also brought 4 kestrels (cruising over all day), 3 wedgies, and 2 brown
falcons. To our eyes there was nothing edible moving in the landscape, only
half a dozen stumpy tails, well and truly dead, and a small dessicated snake.

Some trees are still burning 6 days after the fire inside hollow trunks, or
underground roots (mind where you put your feet = there are hot spots under
dust-filled holes)

Reported by: Barbara and Peter Bansemer on Monday, January 20, 2014

Date: Monday, January 20, 2014

Location: Magazine Rd Wetland

Latham's Snipe (Gallinago hardwickii) (1) I bird clearly seen on mud on spit in
first pond on right of Magazine Rd. Possible second bird seen under trees on
left of pond.

Glossy Ibis (Plegadis falcinellus) (1) Flew overhead then landed in middle pond
on side of the track to bird hide

Wood Sandpiper (Tringa glareola) (2)

Australian Spotted Crake (Porzana fluminea) (2)

Shorebirds 2020 survey

Water levels now low, some ponds dry, no water in front of bird hide.

only 3 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, 2 Common Greenshanks, 2 Red-capped Plovers, 4
Red-kneed Dotterels,

8 Royal Spoonbills, 2 Australian Shelduck, 6 European Greenfinch, plus all
other species normally seen at this site.

Possible sighting of a Rufous Fieldwren

Reported by: Sue Winwood on Monday, January 20, 2014

Date: Monday, January 20, 2014

Location: Minlaton.(SA)

Letter-winged Kite (Elanus scriptus) (1) Good view of a single bird flying
along roadside south-west of Minlaton.

Hooded Plover (Thinornis rubricollis) (3) A pair with at least one 11-20 day
old chick on a salt lake south-east of Minlaton. The lake is over 13 kilometres
from Spencer Gulf.

Reported by: Kent Treloar on Monday, January 20, 2014