birding-aus

Red-winged Parrot

Subject: Red-winged Parrot
From: David Bishop <>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 08:45:50 +1100
On a couple of occasions during the last two weeks I observed, briefly, a pair
of what I take to be Red-winged Parrots flying over my property near Armidale.
This is a species I know well from New Guinea but I only saw them from below.
The shape, languid, rowing flight and call all seemed to point to this species
BUT I was unable to see the birds' upperparts. Furthermore this would appear to
be right at the edge of the species range? Can any way give me guidance as to
the likelihood of this species being present in the Armidale area?

Many thanks

David  Bishop

K David Bishop
Semioptera Pty Ltd