birding-aus

Birdline South Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline South Australia Weekly Update
Date: 20 Jan 2014 03:02:28 +1000

Birdline South Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 19 Jan 2014.

Wed 15 Jan Pacific Swift Tokuremoar Reserve
Pacific Swift Singles and small parties coming in off the sea or along the coast from Victor Harbor, then hawking for insects over the melaleuca. At least 30 counted over a half hour period but almost certainly more as birds moving in a broad front from Middleton to Goolwa. Thunderstorms had moved across whole south coast from the North the previous evening.
Kelvin Sparks

Sacred Kingfisher Church Road, Harrogate
Sighted down near Bremer River at the back of my property. Have only seen this bird here once in the past four years. Extremely hot, overcast day and many birds in yard presumably for the water points there.
Madeleine Wearne

Rainbow Bee-eater Harrogate
A pair of Rainbow Bee-eaters spent at least an hour and a half flying through my yard near the Bremer River- catching moths. One of them has now spent at least another hour perched in a tree near the house. Been here four years and this is my first sighting. Photo best I could do given the bird's height and the heat glare.
Madeleine Wearne

Fri 10 Jan Square-tailed Kite Wingfield rubbish tip
Seen circling over the north/eastern most section of the Wingfield dump (northern side of Port River Expressway). Driving along the expressway, from a distance I could see the wings held in a V and thought it may be one of the Swamp Harriers that frequent this area but as I got closer I saw the unmistakable square tail and markings of a Square Tailed Kite. First time I have seen one in this area.
Jeff Krieg

Sat 4 Jan Magpie Geese Aldinga Beach
Observed 3 Magpie Geese flying in a northerly direction along the shoreline at 8am
Cate Richardson

Birdline South Australia is hosted by Eremaea Birds.