birding-aus

Fwd: Birdline Australia Weekly Update

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Fwd: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 05:41:31 +1100
Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 12 Jan 2014.

Fri 10 Jan      (Green-headed and Eastern) Yellow Wagtails Hexham Swamp, New
South Wales
There are now at least 7 Yellow Wagtails at this site, including the one likely
taivana bird that was seen on Wed. A second bird this morning with a yellow
brow was seen and photographed but the identification of that bird is still
under discussion. I strongly suspect there are more than 7 birds as I
encountered them often by call while I was watching others and also found them
off the track in swampy habitat. There are 5 birds in the attached image (these
birds are very difficult to get close to!), with the taivana bird being the one
at the rear-middle.
Mick Roderick

Wed 8 Jan       (Green-headed) Yellow Wagtail Hexham Swamp, New South Wales
A likely Green-headed (taivana) Yellow Wagtail has arrived at Hexham Swamp,
joining the 2, maybe 3 other Yellow Wagtails. From the images I have been sent
the features leaning towards a taivana bird are the obvious yellow brow and
throat, olive back and nape (the head less so?) and olive-green ear coverts.
John Cockerell per Mick Roderick

        Pectoral Sandpiper (1), Ruff (1) Whicker Road Wetland, Gillman, South
Australia
Obliging Pectoral Sandpiper allowing close views. Single Ruff (first reported
by Joseph Dafoe on Birdpedia).
Michael Wood

Tue 7 Jan       (Eastern) Yellow Wagtail, Australian Painted Snipe Wallsend,
Newcastle (wetland near new Bunnings), New South Wales
A non-breeding Eastern Yellow Wagtail was found by Trevor Williams this
afternoon at a great little wetland area right next to the new Bunnings complex
on Minmi Road, Wallsend. This is approximately 4 km from where they are being
seen on Hexham Swamp. When I joined him I noticed a male Australian Painted
Snipe which was feeding frantically out in the open, then walked out of view at
the rear of the swamp. About a minute later a group of 8 more Australian
Painted Snipes appeared about 10 m closer to the road, all of which walked as a
group towards us and disappeared into thick veg. Finally 2 more birds revealed
themselves in another part of the wetland. 11 Australian Painted Snipes all up
and we all had to leave so there could be more there that weren't apparent to
us. There are 5 Australian Painted Snipes visible in the image (the birds are
distant and a scope is recommended) but unfortunately the Eastern Yellow
Wagtail had just walked out of frame before I took the photo! Also present were
6 Latham's Snipe, c.15 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers and about that same number of
Black-fronted Dotterels.
Mick Roderick and Trevor Williams

Mon 6 Jan       Australasian Bittern Bool Lagoon, South Australia
An overnight stay in the camp and while out on a night walk up to nine Bitterns
were heard booming at various locations. The following morning produced five
sightings of Bitterns seen in flight over the reed beds along the Gunawar and
Pat Om Trails. One individual made an appearance as it flew over the camp site.
Another Bittern was located and observed along the western boundary of the
reserve and it is strongly suspected that it is attending to a nest.
Edd Smith

Fri 3 Jan       Red-necked Phalarope Barratta 10' Cell, Queensland
(Moderator's Note:- These birds were seen on private property; no trespassing)
Red-necked Phalarope (2) Appeared slightly smaller than the Sharp-tailed
Sandpipers and separate to colony of Whiskered and White-winged Black Tern.
These two birds looked smaller than the terns. Cloudy conditions.
Roger Mortlock

        Superb Parrots + Hybrid?? Start of Barryrennie Rd. Cowra, New South
Wales
Observed about 100 or so Superb Parrots as per other folk, but mixed in with
the flock was an interesting specimen. The only way we could describe it was to
liken it to a Superb/King Parrot mix?? About the same length, but more solid in
the body. Any comments appreciated. See photo, I have others also. {Moderator's
note (NH & AKM): As both its structure and colour pattern around the head looks
somewhat intermediate between Superb and Australian King-Parrot, this is
certainly an option. Interestingly, EUGENE M. McCARTHY (2006) lists a number of
reports of Superb x King hybrids in his book 'Handbook of Avian Hybrids of the
World': "Alisterus scapularis [Australian King-Parrot] x Polytelis swainsonii
[Superb Parrot] CHR. BRO: e New South Wales (Australia). Cayley 1938; Fasey
1908; Hopkinson 1926, 1942; Page 1914b; Prestwich 1950–1951. Internet: KING."}
John and Sue O'Malley

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birdlife
Australia<https://support.birdlife.org.au/sign-up> and hosted by Eremaea
Birds<http://www.eremaea.com>.