birding-aus

BOPs on the Bellarine

To: "" <>
Subject: BOPs on the Bellarine
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 21:33:13 +1100
The Bellarine Peninsula is providing lots of good sightings of birds of
prey lately. I saw Spotted Harrier near Drysdale on 17 November, and
perhaps the same bird, and a possible pair, at Wallington on 22 December. I
saw a Peregrine Falcon nearby the following day, and I've seen one or two
Black Kites on most trips between Geelong and Ocean Grove over the last
month. Whistling Kite, Nankeen Kestrel Brown Falcon, Swamp Harrier and
Black-shouldered Kite also frequently seen. We had a Hobby around our place
at Collendina around Christmas.

There was a Black Falcon carrying prey near Black Rock at the end of 13th
Beach on the afternoon of New Year's Eve. Yesterday just after the cold
front hit there was a pair of Brown Goshawk harassing a Black Kite near the
top of Bonnyvale Road at Collendina, and I saw a Black Kite a few
kilometers away later in the afternoon - possibly the same bird. The jewel
in the crown was a Grey Goshawk, flying very low over Grubb Road between
Wallington and Drysdale late yesterday. I've never seen this species on the
Bellarine before.

Russell Woodford
Ocean Grove