birding-aus

Looking at missing birds

To: birding-aus NEW <>
Subject: Looking at missing birds
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 05:59:58 +1100
My Christmas stocking included a copy of "Lost Stolen or Shredded" by Rick
Gekoski about missing works of art or literature.  It begins by introducing
Franz Kafka's concept of 'invisible curiosities' - things he had failed to
see.  The case in point is his travelling from Milan to Paris to join the
large crowd that gathered to look at the empty space on a wall in the
Louvre from which the Mona Lisa had been stolen.

I can't imagine birders driving from Milan to Paris (851 km by road) to see
where a rarity had been sighted, but was *known *to have left.  A trip of
equivalent trip distance be Adelaide to Werribee via Mt Gambier.  However
there would seem to be some scope for a collection of long trips which
failed to deliver the target species: perhaps a working title would be
 "The Big Dip".

--
Martin Butterfield
http://franmart.blogspot.com.au/