birding-aus

White-throated Needletails and Cicadabirds, Bunyip Vic

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: White-throated Needletails and Cicadabirds, Bunyip Vic
From: Jenny Spry <>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 12:59:42 +1100
Hi all,

We had an excellent day of birding in the Bunyip area yesterday and the
Mortimer Picnic ground was particularly good. We heard a pair of
Cicadabirds calling in the dry forest along the walking trail from the
picnic ground and saw one of them. Back in the picnic ground we heard an
Australian Raven calling and it eventually landed on an exposed branch at
the end of the picnic ground and gave very good views of its hackles.

To make the visit even better approx 20 White-throated Needletails rose
from about tree hight and rose on the south wind until they disappeared to
the north-west.

And just to show that the unexpected can happen at any time, we were
driving up Link Track and a Blue-winged Parrot flew across the road and
landed just off the road so that we could get good views and a few pictures.

cheers

Jenny