birding-aus

Fwd: Birdline Australia Weekly Update

To: "" <>
Subject: Fwd: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 07:30:23 +1100

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

From: "<>"
<<>>
Date: 30 December 2013 4:01:37 am AEDT
To: "<>"
<<>>
Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update

Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 29 Dec 2013.

Sat 28 Dec      Yellow-billed Kingfisher Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge,
Queensland
Bird seen and photographed along Bushy Creek on 28/12/2013, which forms one
boundary of the Lodge. The bird is a female. This represents a considerable
extension to its normal range on Cape York Peninsula which extends south to the
lower reaches of the McIlwraith Range, south east of Coen. There have been
unconfirmed records in past years as far south as Eubenangee Swamp, north of
Innisfail Far North Queensland. (Moderator, Keith Fisher, Note:- I have seen
images, which were taken by one of the guests at the Lodge this afternoon. Two
others also saw this bird. I'll post an image when I get it).
Vena Beetson via Keith Fisher

        Oriental Reed-Warbler Fogg Dam wall, Northern Territory
Oriental Reed-Warbler (1) Single Bird seen, in thick 'acacia sp' weed on right
of Dam Wall (Northern side). David (Webb) and I observed the bird skulking
after trying to locate it while listening to its song. It became active just
after 0730 and was silent before then. Its very distinctive harsh call is easy
to identify and it was fairly repetitive. The bird occasionally rose above mid
shrub level to be seen. After 30 minutes it flew across and perched in trees
mid dam for a minute or so, and then flew into reeds on Southern side, possibly
to feed. Interesting to note that Dave said that this behaviour seemed like a
regular pattern. The buff flanks were quite rich on this individual, however I
was unable to note other features of the Oriental eg white-tail tips etc.
Observing the bird vocalising was more than enough for positive ID. Also
interesting to note was that there was no sign of Australian Sp?? Noted that
Dave listed the bird presence and calling last year around 16th December.
Mick Jerram, David Webb

Sat 21 Dec      Ashy-bellied White-eye, Australian Yellow White-eye Little
Woody Island, Queensland
Cloudy, rain shower Ashy-bellied White-eye (17) And many others calling. One
was collecting nesting material. Australian Yellow White-eye (1) Separate from
the parties of Ashy-bellied white-eyes. Not calling. Unusual to see this far
north. (Moderator Note:- Please refer to Lloyd Nielsen paper in latest
"Sunbird" No43 p67-69 "Yellow White-eye on Little Woody Island, North
Queensland - Extension of range.")
Rob Reed

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birdlife
Australia<https://support.birdlife.org.au/sign-up> and hosted by Eremaea
Birds<http://www.eremaea.com>.