birding-aus

Fw: Fw: Alarm calls

To: Shirley Cook <>
Subject: Fw: Fw: Alarm calls
From: Paul McDonald <>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 09:31:13 +1100
Dear Shirley et al,

As Stephen points out we are indeed looking at this at the moment and
untangling just how much information is within those calls. We're about half
way and there is a lot going on in the signalling system of miners, information
encoded within their vocalisations is on par with other more fully understood
systems like meerkats, for example. We'll know more and publish on it soon, but
the calls are far from noise alone.

Cheers
Paul