birding-aus

South Coast Track - Tassie

To: Vivien Rolland <>
Subject: South Coast Track - Tassie
From: John Tongue <>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 11:24:22 +1100
Hi Viv,
Well, you'll clearly need to check out the feed station at Melaleuca for OBPs -
the only place and time you have a good likelihood of finding them.

Along that track, through the button grass and heaths, especially where there
are scattered shrubs throughout, should be good for Emu-wrens, Tawny-crowned
Honeyeaters, Blue-winged Parrots, Eastern Ground Parrots, etc.  Keep an eye out
in the forested patches for Pink Robins, Tas Scrubwrens and Thornbills, and
Scrubtits.  Raptors could turn up anywhere, but keep an eye out for Wedgies,
Brown Falcons, Brown Goshawks and Grey (White) Goshawks.  Collared Sparrowhawk
and Hobby are possible, but fairly 'fluky'.  You should be able to get both
Black and Grey Currawong, if not on the walk itself, then driving back to
Hobart, and/or exploring woodlands and forests on the way.  Green Rosellas and
Tas Native Hens should be common on the drive back, if not before, as would
Dusky Robin.  For Forty Spotted Pardalotes, you'll have to visit Peter Murrell
Reserve, near Kingston, or Bruny Island, either before or after your walk.  For
most of the endemic Honeyeaters, try out more open woodlands, and verging into
forest.  They're not so keen on the actual rain forests, though.

Hope that might be a bit of a help.

Cheers, and have a great trip,
John Tongue
Ulverstone, Tas.