birding-aus

Pizzey and knight app

To: John Leonard <>, "" <>
Subject: Pizzey and knight app
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 16:28:15 +1100
I just tried it myself, and also got 183. I suspect it thought you were in
Central Australia. After I used the "drop pin" thing to set my location to
Ulladulla, I got 363 species which look sort of right.

It took me a while to work out how to control the pin. When you tap the menu
item, it drops it right in the middle of the screen. You can then drag it
around, but I can't reliably get it to respond. I found it better to tap again
to remove the pin, then zoom into the right area so the middle of the screen is
where I want it, then try again.

There's definitely something wrong with it. Playing with moving the pin around
Tasmania, and offshore and back again, I got a list in the hundreds, then zero,
then over 900.

I think it's more useful as a way of reducing the number of choices when
creating lists, than as a way of knowing what might be around. I was hoping it
would have proper checklists for the listed birding sites, but it only lists
species in the site descriptions.

Peter Shute

Sent from my iPad