birding-aus

Noisy Friarbird incident

To: birding-aus Aus <>
Subject: Noisy Friarbird incident
From: Andrew Thelander <>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 17:40:18 +1000
Hello all

Some friends of mine, Phil and Rosie Bender, had a sad experience with a Noisy
FB that was killed on the road in SE Qld and another Noisy FB was trying to
rouse it. They wrote:

Travelling home from Caloundra we came across, at Little Mountain, on the road
but just off the wheel line, a Noisy Friarbird standing vigil over it's freshly
killed by a car but still warm mate/fellow species member. We pulled over and
got out to remove the dead bird from the road in an effort to prevent the
grieving bird from suffering the same fate to the sound of Friarbird calls
resonating throughout the immediate vicinity. In order to remove the dead bird
we had to wait for several other vehicles to pass, some without any awareness
of what was going on or recklessly close  to the action that was unfolding. The
thoughtless haste of the modern world at it's zenith.
The body was placed off the walking track and we walked away, with Friar birds
still calling and us believing that animals do have feelings and are capable of
grieving, just read Lumholtz's account of shooting Paradise Parrots.

It's great that there are people like Phil and Rosie out there who will stop
and try to keep birds and animals safe rather than just drive on. I have
witnessed similar sad scenes with parrots but not honeyeaters before. I wonder
if the birds were paired?

Regards
Andrew