birding-aus

SYDNEY PELAGIC TRIP REPORT - NOVEMBER 10, 2013

To: "'Nikolas Haass'" <>, "'Sonja Ross'" <>, "'Mick Roderick'" <>
Subject: SYDNEY PELAGIC TRIP REPORT - NOVEMBER 10, 2013
From: "Roger McGovern" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 16:26:57 +1100
Just a couple of comments on Mick's and Nikolas's postings.

Mick points out correctly that White-capped and Shy Albatross are split in
Birdlife Australia's Working List of Australian Birds but they are not split
in the BARC checklist which follows IOC taxonomy. As I understand it (and I
am not involved so may be wrong) BARC adopted IOC taxonomy for the reasons
cited in the past by Tony Palliser but Birdlife Australia has chosen
subsequently to use the Birdlife international taxonomy  which renders the
two checklists incompatible. Perhaps Tony Palliser and/or somebody from
Birdlife Australia could throw some light on how this will play out since
they should surely be consistent.

All the points raised by Nikolas and Mick regarding identifying adult and
juvenile White-capped Albatross versus Shy Albatross were again hashed over
by David James and myself on the boat on Saturday. Even the 'given' that
pristine dark-headed juvenile  birds must be steadi is, I believe, something
that is only supposition due to the disparity in the breeding seasons of the
two taxa and surely needs some greater scientific evidence to become a
proven identification feature in the field?

Cheers

Roger