birding-aus

Successful Black Falcon Nesting in South-east Queensland

To: Greg Roberts <>, birding-aus <>
Subject: Successful Black Falcon Nesting in South-east Queensland
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 15:10:33 -0800 (PST)
Hi all,

Here a few more details, as Greg's link to my Eremaea/Birdline S/C QLD post
will be out of date soon:

This past Saturday, 9th November, Tom Tarrant, Gopi Singaravel, Raja Stephenson
& I observed the Black Falcon family near Lake Clarendon, SE-QLD: Old very grey
male, female moulting primaries and rectrices, and two fully fledged juveniles.
Other falcon species in the valley: Brown Falcon, Australian Hobby & Nankeen
Kestrel (one of which tried to catch a Brown Quail but was not successful).
Also 2 pairs of Cotton Pygmy-Geese at Jaenkes Lagoon, 4 Freckled Ducks at Lake
Apex, Gatton, and Hoary-headed Grebes at Lake Atkinson.

At night at Mount Glorious we heard at least two but likely three Marbled
(Plumed) Frogmouths, one of which we saw briefly fly through an opening against
the sky. 4+ Southern Boobooks. No Tytos. Later, a Frogmouth spec. (likely
Tawny) flew across the road but we couldn't relocate it. I also heard an
Australian Owlet-Nightjar while driving.

Despite the heat, between Lockyer Valley and Mount Glorious on the way back we
had 120+ bird species. I guess, the Black Falcon family was one of the
highlights.

Mammals at Mount Glorious (spotlighting): Red-necked Pademelon (2), Short-eared
Brushtail Possum (1), Common Ringtail Possum (2) and - interestingly - a
smallish mouse which wasn't a House Mouse. We saw it either twice or two
individuals. Small with large head, large eyes, tail longer than body, we have
photos. Will try to ID.
Reptiles: At Lake Galletly there was a Brisbane Water Turtle Emydura macquarii
signata. At Mount Glorious we had a Major Skink Egernia frerei.
Frogs: At Mount Glorious we had Red-eyed Treefrog Litoria chloris, Pearson’s
Treefrog L. pearsoniana, Peron’s Treefrog L. peronii and some kind of Froglet
Crinia.

Cheers,

Nikolas

Nikolas Haass