birding-aus

Nasty Northern Giant Petrels

To: Rod Gardner <>, "" <>, "" <>, Kev Lobotomi <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Nasty Northern Giant Petrels
From: John Graff <>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 15:49:19 +0800
Since I started going on pelagics in WA (31 July 2005), we've recorded the
following
Southern: 5 - with 3 of those in one trip, July 2008 off Albany. (Off Perth: 2,
Off Albany: 3)
Northern: 12 (Off Perth: 1, Off Albany: 11)
UnID'd: 1 (Off Perth: 1, Off Albany: 0)

On my various seawatching trips (mostly Cape Naturaliste, some at Albany, Perth
and Gracetown) over the same time period, I've recorded the following - though
this may be slightly biased as I find the absence of a dark bill tip harder to
be certain of than the presence of one when seawatching
Southern: 13 (2 white morphs)
Northern: 25
UnID'd: 60

This is contra the accepted line that the vast majority of birds in WA waters
are Southern, though I'm not certain what these claims are based on since they
are typically accompanied by a comment along the lines of "most individuals are
unidentifiable". Also not certain if they refer mostly to waters off Perth, or
southern WA as a whole (most of my records are from Cape Naturaliste). So not
certain if this reflects a relative change in abundance, inaccuracy in the
original claims, mismatched data, or any combination of the three

Cheers,
John