birding-aus

Mottled Petrel off Sunshine Coast

To: "'Chris Corben'" <>, <>
Subject: Mottled Petrel off Sunshine Coast
From: Tony Palliser <>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 13:08:01 +1100
I am of course just guessing but it does seem odd to have so few
Wedge-tailed and Flesh-footed Shearwaters too.    Certainly, something is
very different this year.  1000's of Short-tailed Shearwaters so hungry they
were landing on the boat off Sydney on Friday is quite an experience.   But
as Chris points out there could be a positive spin to this.  Perhaps it
would be good to find out if there is anything unusual on the breeding
grounds?

If the shearwaters are starving then how healthy are the less common
species? Furthermore where are they right now?

Cheers, Tony