birding-aus

Threatened bird data request - Wallacea

To: "" <>
Subject: Threatened bird data request - Wallacea
From: colin trainor <>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 10:18:54 +0930
Hi - If anyone has records of threatened birds (in general) from Wallacea, and
specifically the two mentioned below, please send to Pete Wood
(pete.n.wood[AT]gmail.com).

thanks, Colin

Dear OB'ers
thanks
 to those who responded to my earlier general posting about our work
compiling records of threatened birds for Wallacea (Sulawesi, Nusa
Tenggara and Maluku in Indonesia, and all of Timor-Leste), as part of
the process of identifying conservation priorities for the Critical
Ecosystem Partnership Fund. We are now finalising our identification of
priority sites, which is largely based on records of species classified
by IUCN as globally threatened.

We would be interested in further records from Wallacea of two species:
Lesser Adjutant Leptoptilopus javanicus (although on the edge of its normal
range, there is a record from Pulau Moyo, Sumbawa),
Great Knot, Calidris tenuirostris (we
 have one site locality, Tasitolu, Timor-Leste, but would expect the
species to be scarce but widespread as a passage migrant).
Any
 additional records of sighting of these species would be very useful.
The information needs to be sufficiently specific that we can find the
site (bay, lake, island, etc) on a map.

Anyone
 interested in reviewing and commenting on our draft analysis is welcome
 to email me. The final Ecosystem Profile will be available in mid-2014,
 and will be the basis of the CEPF's conservation grants program in
Wallacea which will be announced next year.

With thanks in advance for any information that anyone can offer
Pete WoodTeam Leader, CEPF Wallacea Ecosystem Profile project