birding-aus

Pizzey and Knight Birds of Australia iPad version

To: Peter Shute <>
Subject: Pizzey and Knight Birds of Australia iPad version
From: David Stowe <>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 21:14:10 +1100
Hi Peter and all those interested!
I have been privileged to have been testing the iPad app for a couple of weeks
now and am very excited about its release!

I’m working on a more complete review which i will give a link to when I’ve
finished, (hopefully in a couple of days) but since its now been announced as
being available shortly I can share a few brief overall comments.
Firstly to answer the question of cost, I’m told it will be the same $69.95 as
the PC version.

It has a Field Guide section which is essentially like looking at the
illustration pages in the current guide which i really love. Great to be able
to see a few species at once and nice and familiar to those used to a printed
book.
>From there its easy to click on an illustration which brings up options to
>play the call, (great labelled calls mostly by Fred van Gessel); tick the bird
>on your list; compare similar species; or go to the Bird Guide.

The Bird Guide is your individual species page which includes nice big
illustrations, text, and also a number of photos of each species. A great
addition to my Eighth Edition book is that the distribution maps have
sub-species ranges numbered, and that the map is both colour coded and density
coded, with a year graph (like the atlas) and different colour for
Resident/Breeding Migrant/Vagrant etc

One thing i am very impressed with is the ability to have the Bird Guide list
in either C&B, IOC, Clements or Birdlife! as well as sorted by either
Alphabetical or Taxonomic.

There is also a My Location function which gives you a list of species around
your current location or anywhere you drop the pin on the map.

Identification section lets you put a whole lot of different parameters
including Location, habitat,shape,plumage and then gives you a list of likely
candidates. You can then bring the suggestions up and compare them two at a
time.

My LIst function seems to work well with the ability for sub lists that report
to your parent “My List”. You can even sync your list to iCloud.
The other notable section is the Birding Sites. Click on My Location and it
brings up the map with nearby sites. Each site has a brief description, notable
species, GPS co-ords and website links.

I have to say that i reckon its a great app. Nice clean layout with ability for
large text and images which will appeal alot to those without perfect eyesight.
I’ve always loved the illustrations of Pizzey & Knight over any other guide and
I now have a new favourite app :)
I’ll put a link up when I’ve had a chance to finish the more complete review.

Cheers,
David Stowe