birding-aus

Birds and windfarms

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Birds and windfarms
From: "David Charley" <>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 17:20:04 +1100
Hi all,
Interesting article but I would like to some analysis of the data presented.
Like most TV or radio shows it skims the surface and probably has bias.  It
appears to be at odds with a number of papers presented at the last
Australian Raptor Association conference in Adelaide. From my basic
understanding the wind farms overseas, particularly those in Scotland, are
positioned only after detailed monitoring of the local raptor population and
their use of the airspace over the proposed wind farm site. I also
understand post construction monitoring is much better overseas.
My understanding is that in Australia the wind companies are always wanting
to reduce monitoring, the monitoring that is carried out is not sufficient
and that they have to be dragged kicking and screaming to do any monitoring
at all. It also seems that the Australian Government is complicate in this
as well.
I also wonder if the wedge-tailed eagles, and other birds, that are observed
avoiding the rotors are only those that have recognised the hazard of the
rotors and that ones that didn't recognise the threat are dead and buried.
You don't need to loose many individuals in a small population to have a
significant impact.

So, I would like to believe the report but I have my doubts. If anyone has
more links to research papers (not newspaper articles) I would be very
interested.
Regards
David