birding-aus

Nest robbing at kurnell?

To: Stephen Ransom <>,
Subject: Nest robbing at kurnell?
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 09:49:27 +1100
Quite possibly illegal mollusc or crustacean collecting. I don't know the area so don't know what's available.
Anthea Fleming

On 22/10/2013 7:20 AM, Stephen Ransom wrote:
I had a very weird experience happen at kurnell recently at a site on Captain
cook drive that I have been told is called the megamix swamp. It's an access
point to weeney bay/quilbray bay.
There were 3 guys gathered around the boot of their car when I arrived who
behaved in such a suspicious manner that it was almost laughable....hastily
shutting the boot etc, and when I walked towards the path (and them) staring at
me to the point where I asked them what they were looking at, at which point
they said 'nothing, nothing' then jumped in the car and drove off.
When I went down to the swamp, it was low tide, about 6pm and there were
another 3 guys down there wading through the mud with buckets, 2 still a long
way off, walking towards the exit where I was. When they saw me they stopped
walking and sort of lingered. I left fairly quickly as they had driven all the
birds away. When I got back to the car, the guys who had driven off earlier
drove past and on seeing I was still there, kept on going. Then I drove off and
as I was heading out, saw the car had again turned around and was now heading
back in the direction if the swamp.
It was blatantly suspicious behavior, and at the time I assumed it was illegal
dumping of some sort. Upon reflection however, they apparently were collecting
something, and had it (or at least some if it) in the car boot when I got
there. They had been wading towards the mouth of the bay. So upon reflection I
have formed the opinion that it was more likely nest robbing. It's the right
time if year for it too.
If I'm right, anyone got any idea what they might have been taking? I think
there's a little tern colony out there right? Also little penguins?
All comments welcome. Not sure what to do with the info or who to report to.

Sent from my iPhone