birding-aus

RFI - scope tripod

To: brian fleming <>
Subject: RFI - scope tripod
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 19:26:07 +1100
> On 15 Oct 2013, at 7:18 pm, "brian fleming" <> wrote:
>>
> Our two tripods have single clamp rods  - this is better for general
> use, but you lose the ability to pan horizontally when chasing waders -
> which is the advantage of the two clamp system.
>
> One is Manfrotto, the other a Velbon Sherpa. I can't remember now which
> one I had to fit the single clamp to. One has rack height adjustment,
> the other just  a sliding tube. Neither has leg braces.
>
> Slik also seem to be good. I think Vanguard are aimed more at the
> professional market.
>
> Both have quick release plate mounts, and the scopes both have mounting
> plates with the fixing screws VERY tight - screw fitting the scope to
> the tripod is slow and you can never get it tight enough.
>
> Visit a couple of good camera shops to see what is available and what
> meets your needs.

Whatever brand you end up up with, it might be worth considering what type is
used by others you go birding with. Occasionally it's handy to have the same
quick release mount so you can quickly put your camera on their scope tripod
and vice versa, etc.

This might not be applicable to you, but it's certainly worth checking the
availability and price of spare quick release plates for your other equipment.

Peter Shute