birding-aus

Discussions on the Night Parrot.....Birdforum

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: Discussions on the Night Parrot.....Birdforum
From: Ian May <>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 19:15:00 +1100
Well said Phillip. I also penned a reply about this, cc birding-aus but in the infinite wisdom of our moderators, someone has decided to decline posting the message. It appears is permitted to undermine and slander John Young with impunity but if you want to defend him., the message must run the moderators gauntlet

regards

Ian

Philip Veerman wrote:

Sorry but these comments seem really bizarre to me. I don't see any sign of
manipulation of the photo. A bird running through the grass at night time is
going to get some feathers ruffled. If this has been tidied up, well it
seems an odd thing to do, but so what? Certainly I can't agree "there is
absolutely no doubt that major image manipulation has taken place in this
case." I don't see any sign of it, let alone major. Why not first ask
whether that was done. Even if there is, it doesn't make a pigeon into a
Night Parrot. Why would anyone bother to do that? If someone was going to
defraud us with fake photos, why bother travelling out into the bush for
years to try to find the bird? Just get a museum specimen and set up a scene
and photograph it in your back yard or do computer generated images.
Jurassic Park has done it with dinosaurs, much easier. The suggestion seems
ridiculous. Surely the existence of video film makes the suggestion just a
bit silly. And no I was not there to see the video. The likelihood that a
rare, secretive, nocturnal, terrestrial, small bird has existed and escaped
close scrutiny for years is huge. Do you really think all the magazines in
the shops do not rely of cosmetics and then manipulate front cover images to
remove blemishes, make the girls look thinner, make their eyes bigger, not
to mention all the glamour magazines. Or flip images from left to right to
fit the layout better. So what. Guess what birds are bilaterally
symmetrical. There are several books that include photos of manipulated
images of birds. Most books would edit to chose the best photos to show
certain points or to show how hard some bird ids van be. That too is
manipulation to give an impression.
As for "since they are the only existing photographs, they might be used for
future reference and may end up as templates for field guides. In this case
the manipulations will be amplified." On what basis will they be amplified? And what do you
think the illustrators of field guides have been using in the past. And
don't they make some mistakes by overemphasising certain features to make a
bird image look good, even if it is a fraction of the size of the bird. No
doubt illustrators of field guides have the only  raw material to work from
as museum specimens to use as references that includes birds in moult or in
bad condition. They have surely always chosen to show the birds in
unblemished and complete plumage. So that aspect of manipulation and
guesswork is standard. Do you really think a bit of manipulation on a photo
(if it happened) is going to make a painting with all its interpretation by
the artist and production processes for a field guide so inaccurate that it
is going to lead to someone unable to distinguish the Night Parrot from
something else? It is not as if there is anything remotely similar that
lives in the same range.
By the way I am just reacting to these messages. I don't know if the photos
are real but don't see anything to demonstrate they aren't. I don't know or
care either way about John Young and whether he found this bird and I have
not seen the video or the bird.

Philip