birding-aus

Little Bronze-Cuckoo at Warialda, NSW

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Little Bronze-Cuckoo at Warialda, NSW
From: "Greg and Val Clancy" <>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 13:14:42 +1100
I was working, carrying out bird tours, at Warialda over the long weekend as
part of the Gwydir Bush and Bird Fair (report being prepared) when I heard the
distinctive 5 note call of the Little Bronze-Cuckoo along Reddy (Warialda)
Creek adjacent to the Warialda Showground.  I was surprised to hear this
species so far west and wondered whether a Common Starling could have emitted
the call as a mimic.  Then I heard the trill call.  The tall reed beds and the
creek itself meant negotiating the area to track the bird down was difficult.
It may have been calling from a eucalypt on the far bank of the creek.  I
revisited the area later in the day and on the next morning but didn’t hear the
bird again.   I am very familiar with the calls and it is most unlikely that a
Starling would have learnt the call of a bird not usually found in that area.
While  a record based on call only must remain somewhat tentative I am
convinced that the bird that I heard was a Little Bronze-Cuckoo.  HANZAB states
that the species has been recorded as far west as Bukkulla on the Northern
Tablelands, some 55 km east of Warialda, and Pizzey and Knight 1997 state that
it is found as far west as Tenterfield.  Has anyone else recorded the species
west of Tenterfield?  Anyone visiting Warialda should look out for the species,
particularly along Reedy (Warialda) Creek.

Regards

Greg
Dr Greg. P. Clancy
Ecologist and Birding-wildlife Guide