birding-aus

Great day in NT

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Great day in NT
From: "Janine Duffy" <>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 20:35:52 +0000
Hi Birders

We had a special experience yesterday that we think birders would enjoy:

Staying at Point Stuart Wilderness Lodge, Mary River NP, east of Darwin. Host
Dean took us on his ATV tour into the back blocks of this property and the
adjoining, vast Opium Creek Station. Incredible opportunity for birdwatchers at
a very reasonable price, and something you can't do yourself on foot or by car.

First highlight was 2 male Bustards and a Dollarbird still on Pt Stuart
property. Onto Opium Creek driving towards Mary River floodplain we say more
Australian Pratincole than we could count, 3 more Bustards, 2 Brolga, plus huge
flocks of Plumed Whistling-ducks, Magpie Geese, also Grey Teal, Pacific Black
Duck, green Pygmy-Goose, great Egrets, Red-kneed Dotterel, Jacana, Royal
Spoonbill and others. We were rushing (doing a familiarisation) so probably
missed some. Also saw a Dingo!

Then back on Pt stuart land we saw a Red-necked Avocet! Also Pink-eared Duck,
Black-winged Stilt, Glossy Ibis and more.

Later Dean took us up to two billabongs on Opium creek land - Twin Sisters and
Turtle Billabong. Highlights here were Black Falcon and lots more pratincoles,
and 3 Antilopine Kangaroos.

Really worth staying here and paying a little to Dean to get this rare
opportunity to access private land billabongs! I'm sure really good birders
could find some awesome stuff here.

Janine and Roger
JANINE DUFFY Director Marketing & Research
ECHIDNA WALKABOUT PO Box 370 Port Melbourne 3207 AUSTRALIA
Email:  Web: www.echidnawalkabout.com.au
Tel: +61 (0)3 9646 8249 Fax: +61 (0)3 9681 9177 ABN: 72 716 985 505
Sent via Blackberry