birding-aus

Sea eagle behaviour

To: "" <>
Subject: Sea eagle behaviour
From: <>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 21:17:16 +0000
Greetings all,

I've just returned from a week at Strathburn Cattle Station which lies 120 kms
north west of Musgrave Station on Cape York. The birding was fascinating but
the following story from two locals who verified the tale to me independently
got me thinking. The two station hands were having a break by a very large
swamp which is about 6 kms around its perimeter. It was April this year just
after the wet season. They noticed a White-bellied Sea-eagle carrying something
as it was flying across the swamp. It dropped its bundle from a height of about
150 meters and flew on. A few minutes later both men were stunned when a tiny
piglet swam ashore and raced under their vehicle, screaming in terror. They
caught the piglet and noted talon marks on its body. The Sea-eagle came back
and circled the centre of the swamp seemingly searching for something.
It was an interesting yarn and I'm sure the two observers weren't just having
me on. My question is, is this typical Sea-eagle behavior? I'd be interested if
anyone else has heard of similar observations.

regards,

Gary Oliver