birding-aus

Eaglehawk Pelagic

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Eaglehawk Pelagic
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 16:24:31 +1000
Hi all,

We saw 29 species of seabird off Eaglehawk on Saturday followed by 35 on
Sunday. Without a doubt it was the most remarkable 2 days of pelagic
birding I have had in over 30 trips. 11 species of Albatross topped off
with 10 Grey Petrels!!! Unheard of! To put it in perspective my highest
previous 1 day count was 22 species off Port Fairy. And to make it perfect
the sea was calm, more or less, and the sun shone down, more or less.

I used to think all it would take to cure my pelagidipphobia would be a
weekend like this but no, the “win” has just left me stressing for the next
trip – hopefully Portland in October. And then in December I hope to do a
half-day pelagic out of Cocos Is. No one, as far as I know, has ever done a
pelagic out of Cocos, there might be anything out there. Just think of the
possibilities!! I have decided I never want to be cured of the need to do
pelagic trips. To miss-quote the Bard, “Such trips as this my dreams are
made on;” (SMILE)

To round the weekend off I added the Tasmanian race of the Masked Owl to my
year list of night birds to make 8 species/races so far this year.

Because this was such an unbelievable birding trip I have had to split it
in to 3 sections for my blog.
cheers

Jenny
http://jenniferspryausbirding.blogspot.com.au/