birding-aus

ID help: Sandpiper

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: ID help: Sandpiper
From: Nigel Jackett <>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 18:47:56 +0800
Hi Steve,

This looks like a Red Knot to me. The rump can appear quite pale when not
in alternate plumage, and I feel the wing bar is too broad for Great Knot,
which would be a first for BC/Canada as far as I'm aware. Although not
as common off the BC coast as many other shorebirds, they are a regular
passage migrant in the autumn, and you were probably there close to peak
timing in the province. Some of these birds winter along the BC coast,
especially around Victoria and Vancouver.

You may be interested in this bar chart showing the migration timing of the
shorebirds (and all other species) in BC. You may need to copy the whole
address if the hyperlink doesn't work:
http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?reportType=location&bMonth=01&bYear=1900&eMonth=12&eYear=2013&parentState=CA-BC&countries=CA&states=CA-BC&getLocations=states&continue.x=72&continue.y=18&continue=t

Cheers,

Nigel Jackett