birding-aus

Cape Naturaliste seawatch - 11/09/13

To: Birding-Aus <>, "" <>
Subject: Cape Naturaliste seawatch - 11/09/13
From: John Graff <>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 20:55:57 +0800
Hi all,
An excellent day of seawatching today with Dan Mantle at Cape Naturaliste (near
Busselton, SW WA for B-Aussers). Excellent shearwater passage, I suspect our
counts are probably an underestimate for all three species. A feeding frenzy of
a thousand or so birds comprising all three shearwater species, plus a few
gannets and terns was also everpresent just south of the point. Overall
albatross count was the highest I've had for Cape Naturaliste
ListWandering Albatross [sp.] (1 - closest to Plumage C in Onley &
Scofield)Indian Yellow-nosed Albatross (80+)Black-browed Albatross (1 younger
bird)Shy Albatross (11 - 4 adults, 7 young birds with darkish heads, 1 very
dark)Northern Giant-Petrel (5)Giant-Petrel sp. (7)Great-winged Petrel
(2+)Soft-plumaged Petrel (13)Flesh-footed Shearwater (1,000+)Wedge-tailed
Shearwater (400+)Hutton's Shearwater (4,000+)Arctic Jaeger (1)Crested Tern
(50+)Fairy Tern (2)Australasian Gannet (100+)Silver Gull (10-15)Pied Cormorant
(1)
Also
Humpback Whale (3)Southern Right Whale (3, including a breaching show from a
mother and calf)
Cheers,John