birding-aus

RFI Northern Thailand

To: Wilsons <>
Subject: RFI Northern Thailand
From: John Wright <>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 07:16:09 +0900
Hi Tom:

I recently returned to Japan from Thailand. The best place to head for is
Doi Inthanon, although you can also make do with Doi Suthep and places
closer to Chiang Mai. Another option is Chiang Dao, however usually you
need a couple of days to work it properly. But Doi Inthanon is the place to
be, especially in the "winter".

As for guides, there are only a few that speak both Thai and English, so
choose carefully or you won't be any better off. I guess searching online
would be best - Nick Upton's thailandbirding site is worth contacting, or
you can make your own way to Doi Inthanon and hire Mr Daeng, who has a
small house (with basic accommodation) just near the park headquarters
(arrange with him before you go, however). I just drove there myself, as I
have a vehicle in Thailand and also know the birds fairly well. You can see
some photos from the trip on my blog.

Cheers,

John