birding-aus

First Fantailed Cuckoo -Ivanhoe, Vic.

To: "'Greg and Val Clancy'" <>, "'brian fleming'" <>, <>
Subject: First Fantailed Cuckoo -Ivanhoe, Vic.
From: Richard Loyn <>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 15:49:41 +1000
Hi Greg, fan-tailed cuckoos are mainly summer migrants to Victoria, though a
few do overwinter (and sometimes even call mid-winter).  I published an
article a few years ago about bush-bird migration, obscurely in the
Interpretive Birding Bulletin, would you like a copy?  A Wingspan report
(1999) on the Australian Bird Count (by Peter Griffioen, Mike Clarke &
myself) also deals with such matters using ABC & Atlas data.  One of the
features about bush-bird migration is the mass exodus of many insectivores
from wet forest for the winter (reported in Emu 85, etc), many people don't
realise that common birds like grey fantails and golden whistlers are almost
entirely summer visitors to wet forests (summer visitor defined as absent
for a period each winter).  Cheers, Richard.

Richard Loyn
Eco Insights

4 Roderick Close
Viewbank VIC 3084