birding-aus

Noisy Pittas

To: "Chris Brandis" <>
Subject: Noisy Pittas
From: Allan Richardson <>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 23:04:44 +1000
Hi Guys,

The altitudinal migrant thing is a bit odd in the Hunter Region - likely in the
ranges to the north,  but it seems there is lower altitude breeding activity
taking place in the absence of significant upland rainforest further south
(colder upland forests in the south might be playing a part in availability of
food resources for breeding cycles as well?).

On the mid-north coast there is significant sub-trapical rainforests a little
higher up on the mountains than we have in the Hunter and certainly higher up
than the forests south of the valley, such as the Watagans and beyond.

It will be interesting to see if low altitude breeding attempts are observed by
birds in Sydney and beyond...........

Allan