birding-aus

First Fantailed Cuckoo -Ivanhoe, Vic.

To: Greg and Val Clancy <>
Subject: First Fantailed Cuckoo -Ivanhoe, Vic.
From: Andy Burton <>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 12:46:38 +1000
I've been hearing small numbers for some months in the Chatswood area of
northern Sydney. This is normal and they are probably setting up territories
and partners in preparation for our seasonally early nesters. I would need to
check my records but they are possibly here all year, perhaps with greater
numbers in the cooler months. Or they might be present but not calling in the
warmer months.

Andy

On 31/08/2013, at 11:44 AM, Greg and Val Clancy <> wrote:

> Your note about the Fan-tailed Cuckoo is interesting.  One of the first, if
> not the first, observation of this species that I had was of a bird that flew
> into our school building at Cronulla, Sydney, NSW.  It unfortunately died.  I
> was interested that you stated that it was the first cuckoo in spring.  Are
> they absent from your area during the autumn-winter?  I ask this because they
> are observed more often on the NSW north coast during the autumn-winter in
> atypical habitats such as dry forest and woodland and urban and suburban
> areas.  I wonder if this species can be added to the growing list of southern
> species that migrate north for the winter (Silvereye, Golden Whistler, Grey
> Fantail, Striated Pardalote, ?Southern Boobook (or Mopoke), Yellow-faced
> Honeyeater, White-naped Honeyeater etc. etc.).  I would be interested to hear
> from others on this topic.
>

> Regards
>
> Greg
>
> Dr Greg. P. Clancy
> Ecologist and Birding-wildlife Guide
> | PO Box 63 Coutts Crossing NSW 2460
> | 02 6649 3153  | 0429 601 960
> http://www.gregclancyecologistguide.com
>
> -----Original Message----- From: brian fleming
> Sent: Saturday, August 31, 2013 10:25 AM
> Subject: [Birding-Aus] First Fantailed Cuckoo -Ivanhoe, Vic.
>
> On hearing the first cuckoo in spring .. the thud of a bird hitting the
> glass door. Usually it's a Spotted Dove, but today at 9.00 a.m. a
> Fantailed Cuckoo was clinging to the cross-bar,  stunned and motionless.
> I took a couple of poorly focussed photos while Brian walked round the
> house to put a tea-towel over it. We put it into a shoebox for an hour
> to recuperate in peace and safety. An hour later it was released and
> flew off, apparently unharmed.
>
> Anthea Fleming
> Ivanhoe, Vic
> near Darebin Creek