birding-aus

Spring migrants and habitat work

To: <>
Subject: Spring migrants and habitat work
From: "Simon Clayton" <>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 14:13:18 +1000
Hi All,

Migrants are starting to move through Gibraltar Reserve, NSW, including
White-throated Nightjar, Rainbow Bee-eater & Black-faced Monarch within the
last 4 days. Fairy Martins & lone Black Kite the previous week.

Some essential Lantana management is getting me into rainforest habitat, and
rather scratched, but is illustrating how our hard work is giving native
vegetation & birds a better chance. Logrunners have produced young and now
fearlessly approach visitors if sitting still.

A cross-border burn with Gibraltar Range Nat Park is supporting the IBA as
well as our Wildlife Refuge. Some potentially ancient artefacts that I found
whilst birding & monitoring the fire are being further investigated with Nat
Parks.

Masked Owls fledged 1 young this year, and there seems to be plenty of
Rodent & Bandicoot prey available if our trail camera monitoring is a good
indicator. Let's hope they keep away from the highway traffic.

King Quail seemed to increase in numbers last week, probably a result of
other local fires, but interested to know if others have had an arrival of
this species.

Periodically updated diary here
http://birdranger.wildiaries.com/trips/11135-Winter-Birding-Rainforest-Prote
ction