birding-aus

US Defence force - Protecting Birds

To: "" <>
Subject: US Defence force - Protecting Birds
From: Angus McNab <>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 14:32:19 +1000
Hello all,I've just come across this article, on inadvertent protection of
wildlife by the US defense force,
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/462997/endangered-species-thrive-on-us-military-ranges
I wondered if anyone knows if the Australian defense force has lands that
contain many threatened native species? I'm not sure of how much land the
defense force has or where it is located but I'm sure things are being
inadvertently protected to some degree within these lands. Townsville defense
land (which has similar signs to that in the story regarding lasers and
unexploded devices) has a Vulnerable lizard - stripe-tailed Delma (Delma
labialis) on it. I can only assume there are similar examples of birds?
Cheers
Gus