birding-aus

Fox Call

To: <>, <>
Subject: Fox Call
From: "Geoff Hutchinson" <>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 12:24:43 +1000

Thanks Andrew & Peter

Yes this makes sense there are some foxes in the reserve.

I thought either Possum being raped or a fox.

Cheers Geoff

Message: 10
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 10:09:42 +1000
From: Andrew Taylor <>
To: Geoff Hutchinson <m("sea-eaglecam.org","geoff");" id="yui_3_7_2_1_1375859337433_15562">>
Cc: m("lists.vicnet.net.au","birding-aus");" id="yui_3_7_2_1_1375859337433_14546">
Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Bid call ID Please

On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 11:12:27PM +1000, Geoff Hutchinson wrote:
> Hi List, can anyone ID this call, it is between 5:45pm and 5:55pm today.
> There is a time stamp in the lower right corner.
>
> Some think it is a Channel-billed Cuckoo?
>
> Recorded Sydney Olympic Park, Armory Reserve.
>
> Sorry about the adds. We can't afford to pay to have them removed.
>
>  <http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/37012993>
> http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/37012993

Red Fox is a likely candidate - they make a diverse set of sounds,
but  compare to the call @1:30:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6NuhlibHsM
(Preview)

https://i1.ytimg.com/vi/J6NuhlibHsM/default.jpgPlay

(Show link)

Fox Calls

StarFoxFan4641

*PLEASE READ - Q&A in description. In this video, you will learn a few different fox calls and sounds, and what they mean. Foxes can make up to more then 40 calls and sounds; contact calls, and interaction calls. Foxes are normally quiet animals, and their calls are mostly heard durning the mating season when foxes are calling out to each other and fighting over territory. Fox cubs are very quiet, and only make sounds when they are playing, fighting, or nursing. Most of the time, fox calls are mistaken for the call of another animal. *I do not own the audio or the pictures. This video is for educational purposes only. Q&A Q: Are pets safe from wild foxes? A: Foxes will stay well away from dogs, even if the dog is smaller then the fox. Foxes don't normally attack cats. In fact, most fox/cat meetings end with the cat chasing the fox away. Foxes don't normally fight unless they have to. As for smaller pets like rabbits that are kept outside, a very hungry fox may look at it as an easy meal, and same goes for chickens. Healthy foxes don't normally pose as a threat to cats or dogs, but a fox carrying rabies is a very deadly animal. And foxes are extreamly protective of their cubs, and will attack anything, even bears, if they feel their cubs are in dager. Q: Are silver foxes different from red foxes? A: Silver foxes are red foxes, just with a silver or black coat rather then a red one. Red foxes are named for their red coats, but different colored red foxes have nick-names for a different colored coat. Silver or black colored red foxes are called silver foxes, and red foxes with a dark coat with red, cream, black, and silver with a dark stripe down its back and across its shoulders is called a cross fox. Red foxes can also be white, cream, or marble colored. Q: Are they good as pets? A: No wild animal makes a good pet. They will always have wild blood in them and can never be fully tamed. Foxes like to climb and dig. Most places won't let you keep a wild animal as a pet unless you have a license to keep one. You will also need to keep it updated on all it's shots, and most vets will not or can not work on wild animals unless they are licensed. Plus, there'd be big trouble if it ever bit someone. Q: Can foxes climb over fences? A: Foxes are really good climbers, they would have no trouble climbing a fence. Red foxes and gray foxes are known to climb trees, and gray foxes are sometimes found sleeping in trees, giving them the nick-name "tree fox". Q: Are foxes a danger to humans? A: Healthy foxes normally keep their distance from humans. They fear humans, and for good reason. Urban foxes may have less fear of humans, and may come rather close. However, foxes can carry rabies, which is deadly to humans if not treated right away. Urban foxes may seem friendly, but never try to touch any wild or stray animal. Q: When are they most active? A: It depends. Some fox species are active only at night, and if a fox has cubs to feed or if food is hard to find, they may be active though out the whole day. But foxes are mostly active at dawn and dusk. They like nap and play during the day, and do some nighttime hunting. Q: The alarm bark and vixen's scream almost sound alike, how do you tell the difference? A: The vixen's scream is mostly only heard during the mating season, which is at a different time for different species of fox and different places around the world, but for red foxes in most places around the world you may hear the mating call between December and April. A nother way is the alarm bark is more of a "raaww" while the vixen's scream is more of a "whaaa"

(Show link)

(and thanks Eric Vanderduys for pointing out fox call diversity earlier
this year when was mystified by a strange sound recorded near me in
inner Sydney).

Andrew