birding-aus

grey fantails and the oncoming big dry

To: "" <>
Subject: grey fantails and the oncoming big dry
From: Claire Runge <>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 06:48:32 +0000
For those interested in this kind of thing, I've seen three subspecies of grey
fantail around the Brisbane region this week, including an albicauda at John
Oxley Common, Murrumba Downs and at one of my study sites in Kuraby.  It pays
to look at the common birds!

On related note, in a recent set of surveys in the Lake Eyre region we
consistently noted far fewer birds than last year.  Kestrels and robins which
were ubiquitous last year were notably absent this time. Still some good birds
out there, including 17 letter-winged kite on the Strezlecki track, though none
left at last year's breeding sites on the Birdsville track.
Claire

Claire Runge
PhD Candidate
Environmental Decisions Group