birding-aus

Points of view

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Points of view
From: Russ <>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 10:13:08 +1000
Hi everyone

There has been a lot written about the Night Parrot discovery recently -
and a whole lot more written about related issues, barely-related issues,
and about a few things that have made me scratch my head and wonder why
they needed to be said at all.

A lot of comment on the main topic has been re-iterating, or at best
re-writing, what other people have said. The common theme running through
almost every comment is that we all (or nearly all) are mainly concerned
about the future of the Night Parrot.

And that's the sticky point. One side of bird politics says to publicise
sightings, distribute information, and let everyone know what these birds
sound like. The other side argues that this information should be tightly
controlled and restricted. Both sides believe very strongly that their way
is the best way to preserve this species.

I used the word 'politics' deliberately. Just like we all want the best
outcome for the Night Parrot, we all want the best for our country. Some of
us believe that is achieved through Labor ideology, some through Liberal,
some through the Greens. When it comes to election time, we will vote for
the party we each feel has the best chance of ensuring a good future for
Australia. There will be a lot of debate leading up to that election, and
probably a lot of mud-slinging and misinformation form all sides of
politics. None of it will change the way most of us vote. It's unlikely
that anything said leading up to the election will change what each of us
believes is the best political ideology for our future.

Back to bird politics. We all want the best outcome for the Night Parrot.
Most of us feel quite strongly about how that is best achieved. It's
unlikely that any of the recent arguments will change what most of us
believe. I'd go so far as saying that the only thing I've learned in the
last few days of the debate is a bit more of an insight into some of the
people making the comments.

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus Founder