birding-aus

Freckled Ducks

To: <>
Subject: Freckled Ducks
From: "Bob and Trish" <>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 17:19:37 +0930
Yesterday at the Goolwa Ponds South of Adelaide, there were approx 45
Freckled Duck, one blue-billed, three pink-eared plus a few black duck and
teal. It is the first time I have ever had a sighting where frecklies
outnumbered all the other ducks.
It took me 30 years of birding (in Qld & SA) before I saw my first frecklie
(at Tununda ponds, Barossa Valley) in July 1998.  I have managed to see them
most years since then but some years it was a struggle - until recently. I
recall reading several reports of large numbers of frecklies (one report
reported 500 and today Adrian Boyle's amazing 1345 in Broome) in birding-aus
recently.  Thus it appears to me that frecklies have exploded in numbers in
the last few years - certainly they now appear common in South Australia.

Bob Sothman
Adelaide