birding-aus

Point Nepean (vic) Osprey

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Point Nepean (vic) Osprey
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 11:27:52 +1000
Hi all,

Joy and I went down to Point Nepean yesterday to look for the Osprey and
found 2 of the reported three. It seems that they are using the strip of
ocean coast between the Harold Holt Memorial and The Rip. It is a perfect
place to watch them from too because the road is high enough that the birds
are flying back and forward at just about eye level.

It was my first trip to the end of the road too and the view across to
Point Lonsdale is just spectacular, especially because the day was sunny
and there was enough wind to give some waves large enough to crash on the
rocks but not big enough to cover us in spray. We even did some tourist
stuff and crawled around all the old gun emplacements. It was all very
interesting but I imagine in summer it would attract hoards of people and
could be most unpleasant. The birding was quiet but there was a pair of
Sooty Oystercatchers on the ocean beach at low tide and Singing Honeyeaters
were reasonably common. Out at sea we saw Black-browed and Shy Albatross
and one Fairy Prion along with gannets, gulls and terns.

cheers

Jenny
http://jenniferspryausbirding.blogspot.com.au/