birding-aus

Princess Parrots near Point Moody WA

Subject: Princess Parrots near Point Moody WA
From: Ian May <>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 16:03:57 +1000
g'Day all

On Tuesday Friday and Saturday of last week we encountered several flocks of Princess Parrots in the north eastern Great Sandy Desert near Point Moody. Very remote area and permits required to enter area.

Two seperate flocks of 20+, another of 10, one of 6 and several pairs and some single birds. Others heard calling in the vicinity but unable to locate. Rainfall patterns so far this year indicate the most likely areas for Princess Parrot will be around Tobin Lakes on the Canning Stock Route. By comparison the area near Point Moody is marginal although about 25mm fell last week and the probability is that Princess Parrots will be distributed in good numbers between here and Tobin Lakes.

We are currently at Balgo to reprovision and where mobile internet and phone service are enabling me to file this report.

Regards

Ian and Pat May
St Helens, Tasmania
0428337956