birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 8 Jul 2013 06:52:29 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 7 Jul 2013.

Sat 6 Jul Terek Sandpiper Blue Gum Point, French Island
Three Terek Sandpipers with Stints, Double-banded and Red-capped Plovers at high tide count for Western Port Survey. Good views as they foraged along water's edge.
Chris Chandler, Helenna Mihailou and James

Eastern Grass Owl Tortoise Head, French Island
Excellent views of an Eastern Grass Owl hunting low over coastal tussock grassland on Tortoise Head. Long leg were distinctive, protruding past the tail.
Ken Harris and two others (per Chris Chandler)

Australasian Bittern Braeside Park
A single bird standing in vegetation, head only showing, late afternoon. Take a few steps back from the viewing platform that overlooks the large lagoon near the southern entrance. Look to the right over the reeds where there is a fallen tree on the right hand bank of the main part of the lagoon. It was infront of that. Also Blue-billed Duck, Echidna.
Simon Mustoe, Charlie Mustoe

Grey Goshawk Eltham North
A White Goshawk soaring over our yard this morning was a surprise. First I've seen here. Presumably a male on size. Much alarm calling from lorikeets and miners.
Rohan Clarke

Scaly-breasted Lorikeet Viewbank
SBLs (4) drinking from horse-trough at North-eastern Pony Club this afternoon. Two Rainbows tried to join but were rebuffed twice. First I've seen around here for a few years. They were regularly in and around my house and along the Plenty River for 10-15 years before that.
Neil Murray

White-bellied Sea-eagle The Nits, Rhyll Inlet
Observed 1 adult perched on a dead tree in the middle of the sand bar being harassed by a couple of Silver Gulls. Also 11 Pied Oystercatchers on the inside of the sandbar.
Ross McGrath

Northern Shoveler Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Northern Shoveler still around, was found on Walsh Lagoon 2nd pond on the right from the gate
Matthew Vinicombe

Fri 5 Jul Sooty Albatross , Giant Petrel The Rip, Point Lonsdale
Viewed from the Point Lonsdale lighthouse during storm conditions about noon. Sooty Albatross (1), Giant Petrel sp. (1 possibly 2, dark plumaged), Shy Albatross (20+), Black-browed Albatross (1), Yellow-nosed Albatross (1), Sooty Oystercatcher (1pair).
Tom Fletcher & Barry Lingham

Black Falcon, Peregrine Falcon Bacchus Marsh 10' Cell
Short drive south of Bacchus Marsh on a cool, windy, but sunny morning. Kites, shelducks and sparrowhawk seen later on in the afternoon. Whistling Kite (2) Pair trying to catch a waterbird off a farm dam. Sustained effort not rewarded by the duck-diving prey. Black Falcon (1) Survived a prolonged attack from a pair of Peregrine Falcons. Sitting on the ground for a while at one stage. Peregrine Falcon (2) Pair diving many times at a Black Falcon. Calling as if protecting a nesting territory.
Bernie McRitchie

Thu 4 Jul Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater The Slipway, south-west French Island
Heard calling frequently... a single bird has been calling here since mid-April. A very unusual occurence for French Island, which is at the eastern edge of this species' range.
Chris Chandler

Wed 3 Jul Australasian Bittern Edithvale Seaford Wetlands (Edithvale)
Observed from Edithvale-Seaford Wetland Education Centre at an open day for the school holidays. Well seen by staff and visitors - approx 25m from Centre, in classic Bittern pose before flying off.
Chris Lunardi per Michelle Kiag & Yvonne Earnshaw (Melbourne Water)

Wed 3 Jul Peregrine Falcon Sydenham Inlet
Peregrine Falcon (2) Seen on a number of occasions to attack small companies of grebes that were dotted over the lake. Despite the close proximity of our boat, the birds repeatedly silently swooped low over the water scattering grebes in all directions.
Len Axen and Tony Mitchell

Wed 3 Jul Eastern Osprey Cape Liptrap Coastal Park (Point Smythe)
Single bird in same location as observed in Jan and April
Tony Edney

Southern Boobook Reservoir
A boobook was sitting on a low powerline just a few doors up from my place at about 7pm. It then flew to a tree and perched even lower where I was able to get a look from about ten feet away, although it was dark and I couldn't see its features. It seemed so small.
John Gray

Spotted Harrier Cape Conran
Stopped to identify a raptor flying low over heathland opposite the turnoff to West Cape Conran and the boat ramp this morning. Observed a Brown Falcon along with subsequent views of a Swamp Harrier and Black-shouldered Kite. As we began to return to the car, a Spotted Harrier was seen leisurely flying over the dune system immediately to the south of the Marlo-Cape Conran road.
Len Axen and Tony Mitchell

Spotted Quail-thrush Castlemaine National Heritage Park
Shicer Gully block, Rusconis Rd. Flushed a pair, was able to track down the female.
Rustem Upton

Australasian Bittern Braeside Park
Flushed from reeds on large pond near western side of Governor Rd, I didn't pay any attention at first but its lack of urgency as it flew by grabbed my attention. Last seen heading towards western side of bird hide. 38° 0'32.10"S 145° 7'33.54"E
Wayne Butterworth

Tue 2 Jul Northern Shoveler, Black Falcon, Freckled Duck Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Northern Shoveler found at Walsh Lagoon, 2nd pond on right, through the fence, after crossing the ford over the river. With numerous Hardheads mid-afternoon and then later, in same pond, with Freckled Ducks. Confiding Black Falcon on gate post at T-Section lagoons. Later harassed by Brown Falcon with prey in talons. Birds briefly disappeared from sight and Black Falcon came up with the prey!! Flock of 40 Blue-winged Parrots in Austin Rd area. Great views of many birds!
Craig Morley, Rob Ganly

Rainbow Lorikeets Quarry Hill Bendigo
At least 30 Rainbow Lorikeets in flowering gums Peel street outside Quarry Hill Primary School and others in the school grounds eating new buds of an Ash tree. We've seen up to 5 in different parts of Bendigo but never this many in the one place
Greg McKay

Rose Robin Castlemaine Botanical Gardens
1 Rose Robin seen in the Botanical Gardens between the new playground and the band hall Downes rd side of the gardens. 1st seen at about 1.30m and then when I returned at about 2.00 followed him around for about 1/2 hr while he foraged for food on the ground before flying up into low tree branches. Wasn't too hard to find the second time just had to be patient and search the area.
Greg McKay

Mon 1 Jul Pink-eared Duck Kimberley Reserve, Chirnside Park
A lone Pink-eared duck in the top lake. First time sited here. Pink-eared Duck (1)
Kellie Harman

Sun 30 Jun Spotted Quail-thrush Chewton-Poverty Gully track
A Spotted Quail-thrush saw me for about ten seconds before it disappeared down the ridge into thick undergrowth. It had been busily foraging at the edge of the recent DSE fuel reduction burn.
Damien Hendrickson

Northern Shoveler, Freckled Duck, Barn Owl Western Treatment Plant
The Northern Shoveler was in its recently reported spot in the middle of Lake Borrie towards the western side. There was a Freckled Duck roosting on the T-Section lagoons and a Barn Owl on a roadside post along Point Wilson Road. There were also several Buff-banded Rails and Australian Spotted Crakes at the back of the Spit and along Little River, a Caspian Tern with about 7 Bar-tailed Godwits at the mouth of the Little River and 2 Wedge-tailed Eagles and a White-breasted Sea-Eagle flying around.
Chris Lester

Pink-eared Duck, Scaly-breasted Lorikeet Ponds at Gresswell Habitat Link & Strathalian Golf Course, Mont Park
1 Pink-eared Duck on western of 2 ponds around the Gresswell Habitat. First time I've ever seen a Pink-eared Duck on an ornamental pond. Also at least 4 Scaly-breasted Lorikeets seen.
Kevin Bartram

Wed 26 Jun Black Falcon Mosquito Creek Rd, French Island
Good views of Black Falcon, flew over paddock, perched and flew again.
Chris Chandler

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by BirdLife Victoria and hosted by Eremaea Birds.