birding-aus

Ocean Grove: Freckled Duck, Pink-eared Duck, Tree Martin, Collared Sparr

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Ocean Grove: Freckled Duck, Pink-eared Duck, Tree Martin, Collared Sparrowhawk
From: Russ <>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 00:15:21 +1000
I visited a couple of favourite spots in Ocean Grove this afternoon:
Blue Waters Lake, where I was surprised to see a single Tree Martin, quite
close to the bank at times, giving great views. There was a single Collared
Sparrowhawk flying low above the larger trees - honeyeaters and other birds
almost exploded with alarm calls, so I knew something was about. Also saw a
silent Little Grassbird - this seems a very reliable place to view them
year-round.

Begola Wetlands is a small lake with lots of reeds and rank grasses quite
close to the beach, but surrounded by houses. Fortunately the council has
fenced the area off completely so it isn't possible to walk to the water's
edge. It also seems to keep dogs out. This summer, it was a reliable place
for Spotted, Spotless, and Baillon's crakes - often several of each - as
well as the occasionally Buff-banded Rail. Latham's Snipe used to stand out
in the open on the mud. I guess the vegetation around the lake and the
fencing gave the birds some sense of security. Now in winter, the lake is
full and there is almost no exposed mud.

Today I was pleased to see a Freckled Duck on the lake - my first in Ocean
Grove - then another, then a PInk-eared, then a Hardhead ... then there
were Freckled Duck everywhere! They were tucked hard up against reeds, on
banks, on logs, and on the open water. They were in small groups or off
doing their own thing. I even saw one flying (a first for me) from one side
to the other. There were about 8-10 pink-ears, mostly spinning in pairs and
feeding.

Russell Woodford
Ocean Grove